Sudden pain in the ankle joint or any other small joint sometimes neglected by us, but when used to visit any physician they often advised for Serum Uric Acid estimation. So what is it? Uric acid is a chemical created when the body breaks down substances, like purine (Purines are found in some foods and drinks mostly in protein rich diets). Uric acid dissolves in blood and travels to the kidneys. From there, it passes out in the urine. If your body produces too much uric acid or does not remove enough if it then the level of uric acid used to increase in the blood serum commonly the normal range is 3.5 and 7.2 mg/DL. A high level of uric acid in the blood is called hyperuricemia.
Therefore, Gout means the condition when the uric acid tends to needle-sharp crystals and deposits in the joints, which leads to severe pain with redness and swelling and the condition worsen with involvement of other joints. Uric acid sediments form crystals, which used to store commonly in meta-torso-phalangeal joints. Such crystals in joints even at levels less than 7 mg/DL, especially in men causes severe pain with swelling. Pain can occur even bellow the higher range of normal limits.
- Improper metabolism
- Obesity (obese persons suffer more)
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Proper exercises and a lack of walking
- High intake of food like liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, red meat, Shellfish, fish, peas, lentils and beans.
- Consumption of foods contains more purines.
- Alcohol consumption
Pain starts with the big toe and gradually becomes more painful and in the next steps involvements of the other joints. Common symptoms are,
- Pain in the affected joint
- Swelling in the affected joint
- Tenderness (Pain in touch) in the affected joint
- Restricted movement of the affected joint
- Feeling of more pain during first steps just after leaving the bed in the morning.
- Deformity in the joints.
- X ray of the affected joints.
- Blood Routine Examination
- ASO (Anti-streptolysin O) titer (For Differential Diagnosis)
- Rheumatoid factor (For Differential Diagnosis)
- Uric Acid Estimation
Normal Range Of Uric Acid In Blood
3.4-7.0 milligrams per deciliter (mg/DL)
202-416 micromoles per liter (mcmol/DL)
Things To Avoid
- Avoid any kind of riding, or other sports, which involve many joint movements if it is not done then damage, can occur to the joints.
- Avoid the cold fermentation or any exposure to cold weather.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Do not consume red meat because animal foods are rich in purines, which your body breaks down into uric acid.
- Do not consume liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, fish, peas, lentils, and beans.
Home Remedies & Healthy Habits
- Old rice, wheat, Mung beans, Meat soup, garlic, onion, Bitter gourd, papaya and green banana are good for patients.
- Apples are good for gout.
- Oil massage should be done in the affected area as it increases the metabolism, which leads to better tissue respiration and circulation.
- Plenty of water to be taken orally.
- Absolute rest of the affected joint otherwise friction between two bones and sharp crystals in the middle can cause severe damage to the joints.
- Most importantly, diet restriction should be maintained properly by keeping the lock in tongues and taste.
- Haritaki Powder (Terminalia chebula) with honey or jaggery orally in the morning.
- Decoction of Gudduchi in empty stomach with honey.
- Decoction of plant Sariba (Hemedesmus Indicus)
- Powder of Gokshura (Tribulus Terrestris) is a useful diuretic
- Juice of Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa) leaves is good for gout.
- Juice of Pashanvedh (Bergenia ligulata) leaves is good for kidney and gouty arthritis.
- Decoction of Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Kaishore Guggulu (Classical)
- Punarnavadhi Guggulu (Classical)
- Guduchi Satva or Giloy Satva (Classical)
- Maha Vata Vidhansa Rasa (Classical)
- Punarnavadhi Mandur (Classical)
- Sarivadyarista (Classical)
- Punarnavarista (Classical)
- Punarnavasav (Classical)
- Vat Raktantak Rasa (Classical)
- Cap. Gudduchi (Himalaya)
- Cap. Neem Gaurd (Good care, by Bidhyanath)
- Cap. Pesin (Dr. Jrk Siddha)
- Cap. G7 (Dr. Jrk Siddha)
- Syp. Safi (Humdrad)
- Tab. Rumartho (Bidhyanath)
- Cap. Ostonill (Selveo Bio Sciences)
- Cap. Shallaki (Himalaya)
- Paste of Drumstic bark (Moringa oleifera).
- Paste with Eranda oil and Eranda seeds.
- Paste of Barun Bark (Crataeva tapia) locally.
- Bala Tail
- Pinda Tail
- Erenda Tail