A vegetable cum herb, a common member of our daily food menu. Onion is very useful as a herb. In India, many people consider Onion as a non-veg. There are some stories mythological stories behind this non-veg consideration. So let explore the facts about Onion.
- Allium cepa
Mythological History Behind Evolution Of Onion :
Once upon a time God Indra misbehave with sage Druvasa, in which sage Druvasa got angry and gave cursed the king of Gods, Indra that “Gods will lose all their powers” and due to that Gods lost all the battles fought that time with the demons. King of Demon Bali captured the universe that time. Then God Indra rushed to Lord Vishnu for help. Lord Vishnu advised for the churning of the oceans and to bring out the magical nectar Amrita. Only after consuming that, their power will come back and will able to regain the power in the universe. Amrita was such a thing that can make someone immortal. So demons are got also interested in that. These tasks were performed with the gigantic snake Vasuki, and keeping the Mahendra Mountain in the middle. On the tail side there were Gods and on the head side of Vasuki there were demons. After so many years of churning finally, the God of Ayurveda Dhanvantari came out from the oceans with the book of Ayurveda and a pot containing Amrita. After that, two of the demons Rahu and Ketu forcefully took that pot and started to drink, but during that time, Lord Vishnu severed their heads. At that time, as the Amrita did not enter into the throat so the heads of both became immortal as it was in their mouth. During that time, the blood & flash from the separated head fall into the Himalayas from which GARLIC & Onion was originated. That is why it called as Daivya Aushadhi (Heavenly made healing herbs). However, Gods searched that many times but did not able to find that out. Interesting fact is that GARLIC look like a drop of liquid/blood falling from above and Onion’s fleshy parts looks similar to our muscle flashes and thus such structures actually boosts the base of mythological story. That is why Hindus considered GARLIC and Onion as a non-veg item.
10 Interesting Facts About Onion
- Do you know about Onion lachrymatory factor (Causes Tearing)? Why tears come out when we cut Onions? Syn-Propanethial-S-Oxide, a volatile gas that found in Onions and when it is exposed to our eyes it produces irritation and which triggers the lacrimal glands to drain tears.
- Research shows that the outer dry coverings are more beneficial than the inner one.
- Buddhists believes that Onion increase desire when eaten cooked and anger when eaten raw.
- Onions are cultivated and used around the world.
- Our study shows we are using Onion for last 7000 years.
- Onions were such an important food that people would pay their rent with onions, and even give them as gifts.
- Common onions are normally available in three colour varieties (Yellow, Red, White) though it having many varieties.
- Now Onions are available in fresh, frozen, canned, caramelized, pickled, and chopped forms.
- Some People in India believe them to be an aphrodisiac.
- China is the largest producer of Onion where India is in second. China, India & United States of America these produces more than half of the Onion required in this world.
Medicinal Properties & Uses
- It is very good for the patients suffering from diabetes as it contains selenium.
- It is very useful in running nose.
- It is Useful in nasal bleeding. Certain Homeopathy medicines are also prepared from it for this purpose.
- It is rich sources of antioxidants.
- It having anti-cancer property.
- It is very good for constipation.
- It reduces the bad fats of the body and keeps heart healthy.
- It is also used in hair loss treatment as a local application.
- It is also used for the headache
- Though it is useful in running nose but in some people it can cause severe nasal irritation.
- It can cause asthma is few patients due to some allergic reaction.
- Some people develop some type of contact dermatitis.
- Sever Burning in eyes.