Karanja (Indian beech / Pongamia pinnata): Scientific Name, Local name, Used Parts, Interesting Facts, Medicinal Uses & properties, Preparations, Contraindications.
World is very beautiful but to survive here is a major challenge for all the living beings. Humans are the most intelligent animal but not free from diseases. Perhaps that is why god gifted us so many herbs. Pongamia pinnata or Karanja is one of them.
- Pongamia pinnata
Karanja, Indian Beech, Naktamaal, Guchhapuspak, Ghritapur, Snigdha Patra, Didorri, Koroieni, Karnja, Dahar, Pungu, Kanak, Podgum, Pounnam, Hongye, Koroch, Honge etc.
- Seed Oil
- In Ayurvedic classics there are two verities mentioned by Acharyas these are Putik Chirabilva & Naktamal Karanja
- It used to 25-50 ft. in heights.
- It is an exclusive native of India.
- It is considered as a rich source of biofuel and biogas.
- In India in many places, it is used for running pumps or generators.
- Even in 4000 ft. above from sea level, it can grow easily.
- Biodiesel is derived from it.
- It is used to plant in the roadside to stop soil erosion.
- The seeds containing 30-32% oil.
- Native to humid and subtropical environments with annual rainfall ranging from 500 to 2500 mm.
- You can plant 200 plants per acre.
- Seed oil is used in cosmetics,
- Seed oil is used in soap making
- Seed oil is used as lubricant
- Dried leaves are used in stored grains to repel insects.
Medicinal Properties & Uses:
- It is very beneficial in skin disease
- It having antifungal activity.
- Seed oil is also used as insecticidal and bactericidal.
- It is beneficial for scabies infection.
- It is useful in rheumatism arthritis.
- It is useful in (Leaves) improving digestive system.
- It is useful as laxative.
- It is useful in treating flatulence.
- It is useful in dyspepsia.
- It is useful in diarrhoea.
- It is useful in leprosy.
- It is useful in cough.
- Bark is useful in worm infestation.
- It is helpful in oedema.
- It is useful in haemorrhoids.
- It is useful in diabetes.
- It is useful in whooping cough.
- It is highly effective in mouth ulcer.
- It is effective in Gingivitis.
- It is useful in chronic fever.
- It is helpful in leucorrhoea.
- It is helpful in gonorrhoea.
- It is helpful in minor cuts.
- It is helpful in internal bleeding.
- Karanjadhi Choorna.
- Karanjadhya Ghee.
- Karanjadi Oil.
It is almost a safe herb and no such adverse effect noted yet. However, little precaution is better take as very less studies till now conducted on his herbs like,
- Avoid in Pregnancy.
- Avoid during lactation.
- Avoid during pre-operative or post-operative stages.
- Avoid in any case of reaction noted after use.