Cinnamomum camphora Nees & EdermLocal Name
Karpur, Ghansar, Chandra, Himahrid, Kapur, Karpuram, Camphor.Facts
· It is an evergreen plant.
· It achieves almost 100 ft height.
· The plant having typical camphor smell.
· There are three types of Camphor based on the site of origin.
o Barus Camphor
o Chines Camphor
o Indian Camphor
· In Ayurvedic classics Camphor divided into two groups
o Pakvwa (Which is made artificially by distillation process)
o Apakvwa (Which grows spontaneously in the plant)Ayurvedic View
· Guna; Laghu, Tikshna
· Rasa; Tikta, Katu, Madhur
· Vipak; Katu
· Virya; SheetaMedicinal Use
· Useful in the treatment of seasonal flu.
· Used widely for the management of Vata Vayadhi.
· Used for the patients having trembling.
· Useful in the management of Cough.
· It is useful in the treatment of sore throat.
· It is used for sexual dysfunction.
· It is used for digestive disorders, chronic dysentery, diarrhea, flatulence.
· It works great in the treatment of gastritis.
· It is helpful in the treatment of acidity.
· Used for the treatment of UTI.
· It is useful in the treatment of skin diseases.
· Used to reduce the excessive sexual desires.
· It is used to reduce the excessive lactation when used as paste over breast.
· Used for the treatment of retention of urine.
· Useful in the treatment of kidney diseases.
· Due to it’s scraping action it is used for the treatment of Obesity.
· Useful as general antidote for poisons and used both locally and internally.Used Part
· Extract Juice or SatvaDosages
· 125 mg to 375 mg dailyPrecautions
· It should not be used for a long time.
· On long time use it shows symptoms like weakness, anemia, dizziness etc.Over Dosages
On excess amount intake of Karpor it shows some symptoms like
· Chest pain
· disorientation … etc.Preparations
· Karpur Rasa.
· Arka Karpur.
· Amrit Bindu.