- Heat Stroke is a form of hyperthermia or heat related illness caused by long exposure to high environmental temperature or by intense physical exercise or activity in hot weather.
Contributing Factors Of Heat Stroke:
- Exposed to hot weather for a long period.
- Excessive physical activity in hot weather.
- Lack of water intake.
- Wearing of excessive or thick clothes in hot weather.
- Alcohol consumption causing temperature imbalance.
- Associated diseases like diarrhea, excessive vomiting.
Who are in target?
- Newborn and infants.
- Under five children.
- Elderly peoples.
- Outdoor workers or employees like farmers, laborers, traffic police etc.
- People who are dealing with vigorous activities like athletes, military personals etc.
- Body temperature more than 40-degree Celcius)
- The confused state of mind.
- A throbbing headache.
- Lack of sweating in compare to nearby persons.
- Red hot and dry skin.
- Muscle cramps.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Extreme lethargy.
- Rapid heartbeat.
- Rapid slow breathing.
- Mental disorientation.
- Mental confusion.
- Unsteadiness of gait.
- Feeling excessive thirst.
- Blur vision.
Things To Prevent The Heat Stroke
- Wear light, the loose fit, and light color dress while going out.
- Keep your house well ventilated.
- Well, ventilated kitchen.
- Keep all doors and windows open.
- Avoid vigorous activities.
- Take rest if you are ill.
- Avoid outdoor activities as far as possible. Or shift your appointments in the early morning or in the late evening.
- Infants should be kept in most cool places in the house and better to use no clothes.
- Avoid alcohol consumption.
- Use of safe (preferably boiled and cooled water) drinking water is most important to avoid any chance of the diarrheal outbreak.
Things to Eat to Prevent Heat Stroke.
- For the elderly person it necessary to consume minimum eight glasses of water a day.
- Coconut water is a wonderfully balanced health drink for the prevention of heat stroke.
- Fruit juice is a very good house whole remedy for prevention of heat stroke.
- Popular lemon juice drink (commonly prepared in Indian kitchens) with common salt and sugar is a very good home remedy for the prevention of heat stroke.
- Buttermilk is a very balanced and gut friendly drink for these days.
- Jal jeera drink is another gut friendly heat stroke home remedy.
- Water lemon is a very good source of water and gives symptomatic relief.
- Avoid cold drinks (chemically treated) like Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and other brands.
- Use of homemade ORS or commercially available powder is the most convenient drink for the prevention of heat stroke.
- Babies, who are bellow six months and totally dependent on their mothers needs more breastfeeding to overcome from dehydration.
Management of Heat Stroke:
- If you feel that you are the victim of heat stroke, then you need assistance. So remember that if you see someone having such attack then follow the bellow things.
- Transfer the victim in a cool and well-ventilated area. Simply away from sunlight where there is enough air circulation.
- Remove unnecessary clothes.
- Make a plan to reduce the body temperature bellow 101 degrees Fahrenheit for which use cool water sponging or you can use ice packs if available.
- If possible you can keep him in a bathtub by using the ice pack or cool water.
- After controlling the temperature rush to the nearest hospital.
*** Never give ice pack sponging to children under one year. It may cause immediate hypothermia.