Hyper Acidity (Amlapitta); Causes, Symptoms, Investigations, Home Remedies, Self Managements & Herbal Treatment
It is a disease of gastrointestinal track, due to abnormal secretion of gastric and pancreatic enzymes. In medical science it is described as Acid Peptic Disorder (APD). In Ayurveda it is described as Amlapitta. It is quite common disease prevailing all over the world. The drug manufacturing companies earning a lot from this segment. In Indian medical science so many home remedies and formulations were described for the management of Hyper Acidity.
Causes of Hyper Acidity:
- Excessive intake of acidic substance.
- Excessive intake of tea Excessive intake of tobbacco.
- Excessive intake of alcohol Irregular diet intake.
- Excessive spicy food intake.
- Excessive fast food intake Stressful life style.
- Excessive intake of fry foods.
- Excessive anxiety It is common in people taking more chills.
- Excessive intake of hot drinks.
Symptoms of Hyper Acidity:
- Gas in stomach just feeling like that abdomen is full of gas and it is most common symptom described by any patient.
- Bloating, is a condition in which the abdomen feels uncomfortably full and tight and may be visibly swollen (distended).
- Stomach Pain, most common symptom but for doctors it can be a difficult to diagnose.
- There are a variety of causes, and examples include angina, gallstones, food poisoning, gallstones etc.
- Burning in Stomach, a common symptom but it should be always remember that a burning sensation in the stomach can be a sign of digestive problems like gastritis,
- GERD, food allergies or intolerance, or emotional stress.
- Hunger type pains 1-2 hours after eating here pain in the middle or upper stomach between meals or at night might be suggestive of long lasting acidity leading to Peptic Ulcer.
- Abdominal pain, about everybody at one point or another will experience abdominal pain.
- Most of the causes are not serious but if it repeats and sustains long then treat may needed.
- Burping (also known as belching, ructus, or eructation) is the release of gas from the digestive tract (mainly esophagus and stomach) through the mouth is normal but excessive amount is always mater of concern.
- Burning sensation in Chest, this is actually a acid reflux symptom, which is caused when stomach contents, including food, stomach acid, and digestive juices flow up from the stomach to the esophagus.
- Symptoms range from mild to severe and differ from one person to the next.
- They tend to crop up when you're lifting, lying down, bending over, or after a heavy, fatty, or acidic meal.
- Back pain usually seen due to excess amount of flatus accumulation, which used to press the back muscles.
- Dizziness commonly seen and patients always feels better after taking rest.
- Headache a is pain anywhere in the region of the head or neck. It can be a symptom of a number of different conditions of the head and neck. differential diagnosis is must.
- Constipation, refers to bowel movements that are infrequent or hard to pass and often painful.
- Nausea, it is a sensation of discomfort in the upper abdomen, accompanied by an urge to vomit.
- Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a painful, frustrating condition often described as a scalding sensation in the tongue, lips, palate, or throughout the mouth.
- Diarrhea, is a condition that involves the frequent passing of loose or watery stools - it is the opposite of constipation and it can be alter with constipation.
- Vomiting. Burning in the Anal Area just after passing stool refers the lowering in the pH of stool.
- Eroding tooth enamel due to frequent overexpose to acid though it is the most hardest part of the body.
Investigations Required for Hyper Acidity:
- Urine routine examination
- Stool routine examination
- Ba Meal x-ray F.T.M ( Fractional test meal )
- USG (Whole abdomen)
- Gastroscopy (Endoscopy)
- Gastric Ulcer
- Peptic Ulcer
- Peptic Stenosis
- Chronic Gastritis
- Depression (due to diseased condition people often develops such features)
Home Remedies for Hyper Acidity:
- First thing is to make a routine daily diet habit.
- Clove one pis daily after meal Green Dhania (Coriandrum sativum) leaves juice (5-10 ml) in the morning.
- Tulshi (Occimum Santam) leaves having compounds that make it an effective digestive agent. It stimulates the stomach to produce more mucous and has potent anti-ulcer properties. It also reduces the effect of peptic acids in the stomach thereby preventing excessive acidity.
- Jeera has properties that stimulate the production of saliva which helps in better digestion, improves metabolism and relieves gas and other gastric troubles.
- Saunf acts as a coolant for the lining of the stomach helping it heal faster. In fact, this is why saunf is served after meals at restaurants. In case you’ve a sudden bout of acidity, boil a few seeds in water and leave overnight, drink this water when you feel uneasy.
- Banana is very good for acidity.
- Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra) powder with honey.
- A regular ingredient in most Indian households, Ginger improves absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients and aids in digestion. It also helps break down the proteins in your food. Ginger protects your stomach against ulcers by promoting mucus secretion thereby reducing the effect of the acid on the stomach.
- Green leaves of Pudina or mint leaves is very good for digestion and it also relives the acidity.
- Coconut Water is very good for GI track.
- Elaichi (Cardamom) is known to stimulate digestion and relieve people of stomach spasms it can be taken after food.
- Milk in cold condition (First ensure patient don't allergic to milk products) acts as a good antacid.
Contraindications on Hyper Acidity:
- All NSIDS should be avoided means Say no to all Pain Killers.
- Fried and Extra Chillis should be avoided Simply say no to all spicy foods.
- Irregular food habit should be avoided.
- Prickles should be avoided.
- All type of alcohols should be avoided.
- We should avoid oily foods.
- In Ayurveda curd is strictly contraindicated.
Medicines for Hyper Acidity:
- Avipattikar Churna: 1 tsf twice daily with water
- Amalakyadhi Churna: 1 tsf twice daily with honey
- Triphala Churna: 1-2 tsf daily at bed time.
- Sutsekher Ras: 125-250 mg daily in the morning with honey.
- Leelabilash Ras 125mg -250 mg twice daily with honey.
- Kamdudha Ras 125mg -250 mg twice daily with honey.
- Dhatri Louha 250mg-500mg twice daily
- Prawal Panchamrit Prawal Pisti 250mg-500mg twice daily
- Kumariasav 4 tsf twice daily with half glass water just after food. (After recovery from acute stage)
- Swarna Mashik Bhasma 125 mg -250 mg twice daily.
- Amlaki Rasayan 500 mg to 1 gram twice daily.
- Tab. Gasex 2 tab twice daily.
- Tab. Ulsacid 2 tab twice daily.
- Tab. Alserex 2 tab twice daily.
- Tab.Sooktyn 2 tab twice daily.
- Tab. Amlaki 2 tab twice daily.
- Tab. Amlant 2 tab twice daily.
- Syp. Gasex 2 tsf twice daily
- Syp. Zymnet 2 tsf twice daily
- Syp. Ojus 2 tsf twice daily
- Syp. Ulsacid 2 tsf twice daily
- Syp. Sankhapuspi 4 tsf twice daily
- Sup. Himcocid SF 2 tsf twice daily
- Active Antacid Sup. 2 tsf twice daily