Tonsillitis; Ayurvedic & Herbal Treatment
Tonsillitis is a common problem worldwide. All most all of us in our lifetime used to suffer from it once or more. Tonsils are the filters like glandular structure situated in our neck. These tonsils acts as filter for us and prevents the germs to enter in our main blood steam. Nevertheless, such kind of act sometimes became fatal for them and in that condition, our tonsils used to inflame and becomes painful. That means our tonsils become sick while protecting us form the foreign (Germs) attacks. Such Inflamed and painful condition of our tonsils called as Tonsillitis.
· Pain in throat
· Difficulty in deglutition (Dysphagia)
· Occasional Fever or raise of temperature with chill
· Upper Respiratory tract infection
· Palpable nodules in the neck and usually they are tender
· Loss of appetite
· Difficulty in talking
· Bad breath or foul smelling
· Redness in the throat
· Some ulceration can also be noticed in the neck
· Felling of obstruction of something around the neck
· White or yellow spots or coating on the throat and/or tonsils (tonsillar exudates)
· Loss of sleep
· Difficulty in breathing
· Ear ache
· Absence of coughing or sneezing
· Vomiting and Nausea
· Stomach Ache
Main causes of tonsillitis is infection but there are few causes which triggers the chance of infection and makes it more sever. Such factors are as follows
· Habit of frequent ice cream or cold drinks intake.
· Common cold
· Exposure to Dust
· Exposure to extreme cold
· Exposure to alternate weather (A/C the No A/C)
· Long Journey and exposure to different weather frequently
· Climatic Change in the inter seasonal period (Ritu Sandhi)
· Mononucleosis ("the kissing disease"), a viral infection that tends to cause a persistent sore throat.
· Bronchial Asthama often comes with a sore throat.
· Infection in respiratory track
As we discussed earlier that these tonsils are act as guards and suffers the first line of germ attack for saving us. Most commonly, the bacterial infection is the major cause of tonsillitis but there are some viruses also which are equally responsible for the inflammation of the tonsils. Few of the responsible pathogens are listed below and have a fast look to them.
· Streptococcus, is a genus of spherical Gram-positive bacteria, they are two types: group a, group B. Group a strep causes. Sore throat, red throat, or tonsillitis.
· Adenoviruses are a family of viruses that can infect people of all ages. These infections most often affect the upper respiratory tract.
· Entero-viruses, are second only to the common cold viruses, the rhinoviruses, as the most common viral infectious agents in humans
· Epstein-Barr virus, (EBV), or human herpes virus 4, is a gamma herpes virus that infects more than 95% of the world's population.
· Influenza virus, (an Orthomyxo virus) is responsible for acute upper respiratory disease, usually accompanied by fever and myalgia.
· Herpes simplex virus, are ubiquitous, host-adapted pathogens. In adults, oropharyngeal HSV-1 infection causes pharyngitis and tonsillitis.
· Blood Routine Examination with Total Blood Count
· Throat Swab Culture (Where generally samples obtained by swabbing both tonsillar surfaces)
· USG whole abdomen for enlargement of the spleen (for consideration of mononucleosis which also inflames the tonsils)
Home Made Remedies
· Juice of Vasaka (Adhatoda vasica) with honey.
· Juice of Adrak (Ginger) mixed with honey.
· Juice of Tulshi mixed with honey
· Decoction of Tulsi (Occimum sanctum), Mulethi (Liquorice) with Vasaka (Adhatoda vasica) in lukewarm state.
· Sunthi (Dry Ginger), Black Piper, with honey
· Honey itself acts as a smoothing agent for thought in the primary stage of irritation.
Home Made Mouth Wash For Gurgling
· Haldi/Turmeric power/juice/decoction mix with juice of Ginger, Dry leaf powder or leaf juice of Tulsi (Holy Basil) mix with common salt or luke warm normal saline water can be used as a home-made mouth wash or gurgling (It is also good for tonsillitis)
· Use some mouthwash by preparing at home, (Clove/Lavabga, Dalchini/Cinnamon, Common Salt, Elachi/Cardamom, Tulsi leafs/Holy basil, Neem leafs/Azadirachta indica, Haldi/Turmeric and make a decoction your homemade mouthwash is ready.
· Sunthi (Dry Ginger), Black Piper, Tulsi (Occimum sanctum), mix with honey and normal saline in luke warm condition is very useful
Things To Do At Home
· Avoid exposer to extreme heat weather.
· Avoid smoke and give a cross mark to your smoking habits
· Avoid cold exposure.
· Bath with cold water or fun in swimming pools must be avoided.
· Avoid exposure to dust or cold air
· Body sprays or other insect killers can make your condition worse, so better keep them aside.
· Food should be warm and fresh.
· Plenty amount of fluid orally.
· Don't talk too much and give a pause to your if you are singer or orator.
· Keep yourself warm and if possible try to cover your neck.
· It is good to take hot water and hot milk
· Talishadhi Churna (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Vasa Avaleha (not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Vasa Kantakari Valeha (not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Vayosadhi Vati (Classical)
· Charanamrit Ras (if associated with Cough)
· Tribhuvan Kritti Ras (Classical)
· Bharggi Gur (not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Kantakari Abaleha (not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Giloy Satva/ Gudduchi Satva (Classical)
· Draksharista (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Maha Drakrarista salsa (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Khadiradhi Vati (Classical)
· Tab. Siddha Makaradwaj (Classical)
· Eadhi Vati (Classical)
· Tab. Septilin (Himalaya)
· Tab. Sepno (Selveo)
· Tab. Giloy Ghana Vati (Patanjali)
· Tab. SIVA Herbal Drops (Dr. Jrk Siddha)
· Tab. Prataplankeswer Ras (Classical)
· Syp. Bronchorid (if associated with Cough)
· Syp. Koflet (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Syp. Kuka (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Syp. Halezzy (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Syp. Honitus (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Syp. Kasamrit (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Syp. Jufex (if associated with Cough & not Indicated for Diabetic Patients)
· Syp. Diakof (if associated with Cough and Diabetic Patients)
· HiOra K Mouth Wash(Himalaya)
· Glycoseptal Mouth Wash (Jupiter)
· AD Septal Mouth Wash(Arunava)
· G 32 Mouth Paint (Alarsin)
Tonsillitis may be relapse if not treated properly. If the pathogens are not irradiated or the causative factors persist then there is always a chance of relapse. There is few condition where there is no back and surgery is the ultimate solution. However, tonsillectomy is a very painful and difficult operative measure. So it is always advisable to maintain a good healthy life style so that we can prevent the relapse and for that purpose herbal umbrella is the best.