Osteoporosis (Asthi Chaya): Ayurvedic & Herbal Treatment
A common term we often use now a day. It also a very common disease for the elderly persons. However, it can be seen in early ages on certain issues. Our bones, teeth, nails all are the made of calcium. Calcium plays a major role in maintaining our body structure intact. Here the problem is that if the serum calcium means the calcium level in blood decreases then calcium starts to dissolve bone calcium to maintain a static serum calcium level. For such condition our bones starts to lose their bone mass & density and the condition known as osteoporosis. Literally, osteoporosis means pores in the bones. Commonly two types of Osteoporosis can be seen. They are as follows.
1. Primary Type or Postmenopausal Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis most commonly seen in women after menopause is primary type 1 or postmenopausal osteoporosis
2. Secondary Type or Senile Osteoporosis
A kind of Osteoporosis most commonly seen after age 75 and is seen in both females and males at a ratio of 2:1. However, it can occur in any stage of life in both sexes. Some medical and personal issues are responsible for that.
Symptoms Of Osteoporosis
- Calcium deficiency results in poor bone density causes a high risk chances of bone fracture and regarded as fragility fractures
- Commonly fractures occur in the vertebral column, rib, hip and wrist.
- Tooth decay is a sign of Osteoporosis
· Vertebral collapse or compression fracture is very common with sudden back pain, often with shooting pain due to nerve root compression.
· Pain and swelling in weight bearing joints because of bone decay and malformation in the smooth surface of the joint ends resulting osteoarthritis.
- Multiple vertebral fractures lead to a stooped posture.
- Muscular aches and spasms are sign of Osteoporosis.
- Weak and brittle nails are sign of Osteoporosis.
· In some family, races it runs as a tradition.
· Estrogen deficiency after menopause effects in calcium absorption and results decrease bone mass reduction.
· Excess consumption of alcohol & Tobacco smoking.
· Prolong use of some anti-Diabetic drugs like pioglitazone,Thiazolidinediones causes osteoporosis as a complication.
· Calcium D deficiency most common cause in elderly person
· Impaired nutrition and food habit
· Excessive weight gain
· Prolong use of aluminium-containing antacids causes’ disturbance in absorption of calcium and resulting osteoporosis.
· Excess consumption of Soft drinks or Cold drinks
· Prolonged intake of drugs like prednisone, a glucocorticoid or hydrocortisone
· Poor habit of selective food intake
· Low production of Low sex hormones like Oestrogen
· Fracture in minimum trauma
· Restricted movement due to fracture
· Compression vertebral fracture
· Conventional Radiography
· DEXA Scan or Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry
· Serum Calcium Level
· Bone Mass Index Determination
· Bone Densitometry
· Dental X-ray (Mainly X-ray of mandible)
· Be careful while walking or running
· A simple fall may be fatal so always give the next step after seeing correctly
· If there is any vision impairment the mast correct it
· If there is any medical condition that is hampering normal activity just try to get rid of that.
· Careful in bathrooms and take necessary precautions and safety measures.
· Always be connected with your family.
· Confirm your diet having enough sources of calcium or not.
· If any medication that is hampering your calcium absorption then talk to your doctor.
· It is better to use a wrist belt or a lumber belt while going out.
· Always use a good pairs of comfortable shoes, and trousers.
· Calcium rich vegetables like spinach, kale, turnips, Soybeans and collard greens
· Seasonal Fruits are rich sources of calcium
· Exposer to Sun light helps in vitamin D synthesis
· Milk products are rich sources of calcium
· Fortified cereals, Wheat, Rice, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes are rich sources of calcium
· Sea products are rich sources of calcium
· Red meat and small fishes are a rich sources of calcium
· Yogurt is a rich sources of calcium
· Drum Sticks leafs are very rich sources of calcium
· Make a habit of taking an egg daily.
· Sankha Bhasma (Classical)
· Lakshadhi Guggulu (Classical)
· Guggulu tikta ghrita (Classical)
· Tab C-Vit (Chewable)
· Tab Calci-7 (Uap pharma)
· Cap. Limiron (Phyto pharma)
· Cap. Neobliss
· Cap Ossigen
· Tab Reosto (Himalaya)
· Tab. Shila Calcin-R (Arya Aushadhi)
· Tab. Sucal (Afdil)
· Tab. Navaratna Yoga (Uap pharma)
· Granules Limiron (Phyto pharma)
· Biocal Sachet (ADEAC)