Medicinal Properties & Uses Of Garlic (Lasuna / Allium sativum)
A herb that comes from heaven and fall in the earth by mistake of God. Yes some thing like that you will think after knowing the benefits of garlic. In Indian kitchen it is not only a herb but a spice too. It is an ingredient in kitchen without which many discs you can’t cook. So let’s make a journey in the heavens garden to find out the goodness of garlic.
- Allium sativum
Once upon a time God Indra misbehave with sage Druvasa, for which sage Druvasa got angry and gave cursed the king of Gods Indra that “Gods will lose all their powers” and due to that Gods lost all the battles fought that time with the demons. King of Demon Bali captured the universe that time.
Then God Indra rushed to Lord Vishun for help. Lord Vishnu advised for the churning of the oceans and to bring out the magical nectar, Amrita. Only after consuming that, their power will come back and will able to regain the power in the universe. Amrita was such a thing that can make someone immortal. So demons are got also interested on that. These task was performed with the gigantic snake Vasuki, and keeping Mahendra Mountain in the middle. On the tail, side there was Gods and on the head, side of Vasuki there was demons. After so many years of churning finally, the God of Ayurveda Dhanvantari came out from the oceans with the book of Ayurveda and a pot containing Amrita. After that, two of the demons Rahu and Ketu forcefully took that pot and started to drink but during that time lord, Vishnu severed their heads. On that, time as the Amrita did not entered in to the throat so the heads of both became immortal as it was in their mouth. During that time the blood from the separated head fall into the Himalayas from which GARLIC was, originate. That is why it is called as Daivya Aushadhi. However, Gods searched that many times but did not able to find that out. Interesting fact is that garlic look like a drop of liquid/blood falling from above and such structure boosts the base of mythological story. That is why Hindus considered Lasuna (Garlic) as non-veg item.
Interesting facts of Garlic:
- It is believed that Garlic fight off evil spirits and keep vampires away.
- If garlic has sprouted it losses half of its benefits
- Garlic is a species in the onion genus.
- Hippocrates used garlic to treat cancerous tumours.
- Garlic is native to central Asia.
- China is by far the largest producer of garlic, almost 77% and India comes second with 4.5% of world garlic production.
- Garlic believes to be come from heaven according to Hindu mythology
- According to christen mythology when Satan left the Garden of Eden than garlic grown up from the footprints of Satan.
- With a history of human use of over 7,000 years.
- Gilroy, of California, known as "garlic capital of the world".
- 19th April is considered as Garlic Day.
- Allium-phobia is given after the fear for garlic.
It grows up to 1.2 m in height.
- There are two subspecies are there hard necked garlic and soft-necked garlic
Medicinal Properties & Uses:
- Useful in heart diseases.
- Garlic gives strengths to heart.
- Improves blood circulations.
- Improves the lipid profile.
- Garlic is known to have anti-inflammatory property.
- It is an antifungal agent.
- Works great for treating acne or pimples.
- Good for flu.
- Helps in diabetes by increasing insulin release.
- Good in treating cold.
- Controls blood pressure.
- It is an antibacterial agent.
- Daily sulphides in garlic increase production of ferroportin and help improve iron metabolism.
- Good for worm infections.
- Works great for skin infections.
- Works good in Asthma.
- Works as anti-inflammatory agent.
- Good for arthritis.
- Rich sources of antioxidants.
- Improves the body metabolism
- Cap Lasuna (Himalaya)
- Garlic Pearls (Ranbaxy)