Habitual Constipation (Baddhakoṣṭha ); Casuses, Symptoms, Investigations, Home Remedies, Benificial Recipes, Herbal Medications.
A very common problem prevailing in the whole world. In maximum of cases, constipation is caused by wrong bowel habits, consumption of excess fried food or less intake of vegetables or fruits. But according to Ayurveda it is mainly caused by aggravation of Vata, though it can sometimes be caused by aggravation of Pitta and Kapha.
- Improper eating habits.
- Including eating a lot of food.
- Eating food which is difficult to digest (such as meat).
- Not eating enough vegetables.
- Irregular sleeping habits.
- Emotional disturbances (stress, grief, fear or worry) are other causes for the constipation.
- Irregular bowel habit.
- Suppression of natural urges.
- Intake of dry and spicy food.
- Low consumption of fluids.
- Excessive intake of Opium and Bhanga etc.
- Chronic illness
- Certain drug induced constipation like (Iron supplement)
- Healthiamensis or Worm Infestation.
- Pain in lower abdomen
- Heaviness and fullness of abdomen
- Irregular defecation
- Hard and dry stool
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in anal region
- Passing of excess air with foul smelling.
- Stool Routine Examination
- Urine Routine Examination
- X-ray Plain Abdomen
- Barium Meal X-ray
- In case of constipation one should be very careful with the use of laxatives as they can often weaken the colon due to their strong action. They should be taken only in chronic and clinically diagnosed conditions. It is better to use simple diet remedies. A lot can be recovered by proper eating habits.
- Eating freshly cooked food is helpful. Spices like cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric powder, fennel and asafetida is good as it makes the food easily digestible.
- Proper chewing of food is very important.
- Take plenty of leafy vegetables and salads.
- Drinking a glass of warm milk at the time of going to bed helps in evacuation, the next morning. In case of severe constipation mixing two teaspoonful of castor oil in the milk is very helpful.
- Taking lemon juice mixed with warm water two or three times a day also cleans the bowels.
- A glass lukewarm milk with 10 grams ghee at bedtime will also help.
Most Beneficial Diet:
- Take ample fruits, fruit juices, salads, leafy and green vegetables. Whole grain bread can be taken. Unpolished rice can be taken moderately.
- Fried foods and beans should be avoided. Vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli are not good. Nuts and dry fruits should also be avoided.
- It is very much necessary to form a habit of evacuating early morning. Regular physical exercise is also important for having clear bowels. One should try to relax mind, free from anxiety, stress etc.
- Nagarjun Vati (Classical)
- Panchasakar Churna (Classical)
- Lavan Bhaskar Churna (Classical)
- Triphala Churna (Classical)
- Narayan Churna (Classical)
- Avipattikar Churna (Classical)
- Syp. Abhyarista (Classical) (Contraindicated for patients having gastritis and diabetes)
- Syp. Kumariasav.(Classical)(Contraindicated for patients having gastritis and diabetes)
- Syp. Drakshasav(Classical)(Contraindicated for patients having gastritis and diabetes)
- Syp.Aswagandharista(Classical) (Contraindicated for patients having gastritis and diabetes)
- Haritaki Avaleha (Classical)
- Eranda Tail (Classical)
- Kayam Churna
- Kabja Hara
- Nature Care (Dabur)
- Softavac Granules
- Consticare Granules (Webs Biotech)
- Cap. Herbolax (Himalaya)
- Cap. Picrolax (Himalaya)
- Sup. Picrolax (Himalaya)
- Isaphagol Powder (Dabur/Baidhynath)
- Swadist Virechan (Multani)
- Rectum Prolapse
*VATA, *PITTA & KAPHA* these three are considered as "Tri Dosa" they are a fundamental body component, when they are in balanced condition then we usually remain fit but when any abnormalities occurs in their balanced condition then they creates diseases.