Ginkgo biloba: Side Effects, Dosages, Medicinal Uses, Contraindications, Synonyms, Chemical Compositions 10 interesting Facts about Ginkgo biloba.
Ginkgo biloba is one of the famous species on earth from plant kingdom. The world is just crazy about this plant for its extreme health benefits. Let’s explore this plant.
- Ginkgo biloba
Other Names of Ginkgo biloba:
- Maidenhair tree
- Ginkgo tree
Chemical Compositions of Ginkgo biloba:Extracts of ginkgo leaves contain
- Phenolic Acid
Interesting Facts about Ginkgo biloba:
- Maidenhair tree, also known as Ginkgo biloba, is one of the oldest species of trees on the earth. It is the only living species in the division Ginkgophyta.
- The Tree is well known to all for its extreme stamina for survival adaptations. It is also called as "living fossil" which simply means that it has survived even after major extinction events on earth.
- The average life span of these plants is more than thousand years. In China you will find few trees which are believed to be 2500 years old. A 3000-year-old tree reportedly exists in China, in the province of Shandong.
- These plants are tall and reach approx. 130 feet of height. Ginkgo trees are highly resistant to pests, fungi, viruses and bacteria.
- Four Ginkgo trees survived even after the atomic explosion at Hiroshima. It just reminds the capability and the extreme desire for life of these plants.
- Though it is a native of China but now a days it is found all over the world and it is cultivated in farms.
- Ginkgo is a dioecious plant, which means that some of the specimens are female, and others are male.
- Its roots are deep and the tree can withstand wind and snow and can survive in extreme conditions.
- In China and Japan, the seeds of this plant are used as food after the fleshy casing is removed.
- The leaves turn bright yellow in the autumn and fall off the tree in the course of 1-15 days, sometimes in a very short time period and just for 1-2 hours.
Health Benefits of Ginkgo biloba:Ginkgo biloba extract (GBE) is collected from the dried green leaves of the plant and is available as liquid extracts, capsules, and tablets. These extracts having some excellent health benefits.
- Ginkgo biloba is one of the most commonly used medicinal plants in the world. Its medicinal properties have been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years.
- Ginkgo biloba contains extremely beneficial antioxidants, which protects us from oxidative cell damage from harmful free radicals.
- Ginkgo biloba is considered as a vital component for reducing the aging process.
- Ginkgo biloba improves the sexual drive and improves the stamina.
- Ginkgo biloba is used for the treatment of frequent memory loss, forgetfulness etc.
- Ginkgo biloba is also used for dementia of the Alzheimer type and in multi-infarct dementia.
- Ginkgo biloba promotes good blood circulation in the brain and protects it from neuronal damage and thus it improves the thinking capability. You can say by using it you can be a smarter one.
- Ginkgo biloba is used for those who having the bad habits of bed wetting. It is also used for the management of bladder irritation.
- It is used for the management of gonorrhea.
- It is used widely as a supplementary food.
- If you are having some circulatory disorders and you are undergoing anticoagulant therapy then you should not take Ginkgo biloba. Medicine like aspirin or warfarin.
- If are having some mental disorders and you are under anti-depressant then also you should avoid Ginkgo biloba.
Dosages:There is no fixed dose for this herb, however different doses are indicated in realation with different diseases. Here you can check out. Dosages
Side Effects:If you are a first time user or you having some intolerance with this herb then you may suffer after taking this. Symptoms like
- Pain Abdomen
- Watery Stool
- Thirsty feeling
- Restlessness etc.
- Excessive bleeding
- Palpitation etc.