Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa Roxb): Local Names, Ayurvedic Concept, Chemical Compositions, Medicinal Uses, Reserarches, Used Parts, Dosages, Common Preparations.
A very common herb used in may ayurvedic formulation since thousands of years. It is commonly used in bleeding disorders. It is also used hugely in eye and gastrointestinal disorders.
- Symplocos racemosa Roxb
Lodhra, Lodha, Lodh, Lodhuga, Belli lotai, Velli leti, Vellilathi, Vellilothram Lodhara, Lodhar, Pachotti, Pachettu, Lodho, Mugam, Lodha, Lodhra, lodh pattani, Symplocos tree.
- Colloturine etc.
- Rasa – Kashaya, Tikta
- Guna- Laghu , Rooksha
- Veerya – Sheeta
- Vipaka- Katu
- It is used as haemostatic for local application.
- It promotes the cell growth and prevents infection and that why it is used in management of ulcers along with dhataki.
- It is used for the managing the cases of dysentery and recurrent diarrhea.
- Paste of the plant is used with fitkiri for the management of acne. It is used locally.
- It is used locally for the management of post-partum virginal infection. It is also used in common vaginal infections.
- It is used widely for the management of different eye diseases.
- It is useful in the management of leprosy.
- It is used for the management of anorexia and digestive disturbances.
- It is used widely for managing the cases of bleeding piles.
- It is used for the treatment of recurrent abortion. It is used in the 7th and 8th month of pregnancy.
- It is also used for the management of fever and associated diseases.
- It is widely used for the management of leucorrhoea.
- In clinical trails it is found that when it is used along with Shanta (Prosopis glandulosa) then their synergistic action becomes helpful for the prophylaxis and faster recovery from the deadly viral infections like Influenza, Herpes Zoster, Herpes Simplex, Chikungunya, Dengue, Viral Gastroenteritis, Immuno-Modulations in HIV etc.
- Globally the combination is accepted and known as IM-133N.
- Stem bark,
- Stem Bark Power: 1-3 grams in divided dose per day or as directed by physician.
- Decoction (kashayam): 50-100ml in divided dose per day or as directed by physician.
Commonly Used Preparations:
- Mustadhi Churna
- Mustadhi Churna
- Amrita ghrita
- Khadiradhi Gutika
- Mahaneela Oil
- Priyangadhi Oil
- Gandha Oil
- Dhatayakadhi Oil……and many more.